Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Next Big Thing

G’day from Brisbane, Australia! I’m here for ten days visiting my mum, and  been tagged by my friend (and fantastic writer!) April Prince for the Next Big Thing blog hop. No clue what that is? Never fear, here’s how it works: I answer a set of ten questions about my Next Big Thing/Book, and tag one or more writers to keep the blog hop going.

Do visit April’s blog and read about her two new board books DIG IN! and DIVE IN!

And next week check out posts by the writers I've tagged--Heather Kelly and Yat-Yee Chong!

1. What is the title of your book?
Red Turban White Horse


2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

A real hurricane wedding that we had in the family. I've blogged about it here.


3. What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary YA.


4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
It's hard to think of actors of the right age and ethnicity, but for the leads I'd pick the lovely Naomi Scott (Lemonade Mouth, Terra Nova) and singer Zayn Malik of One Direction--though I honestly have no clue if he can act.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
When seventeen year old Mini decides to plan her sister’s Big Fat Indian Wedding--just like their late mom would have wanted—she doesn't count on Hurricane Irene getting in the way!


For a longer synopsis click here!


6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

It will be published by Scholastic India’s new YA imprint Scholastic Nova. I don’t have an agent right now, though I have had in the past.


7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Ten months


8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

There isn't much like it in YA, either here or in India.


9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I was inspired both by wonderful experiences like the wedding I mentioned before, which turned out extremely well in spite of everything, and also tragic circumstances like close friends dealing with cancer. While the book is a fun read it does deal with grief, and coming to terms with the loss of a parent. Unadulterated happiness is hard to find in life, and the book reflects that.


10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

It’s about a wedding and a hurricane, but it's also about first cars, first love, and fashion—I really had a blast writing about that!


Writers you’ve tagged for the NEXT BIG THING Blog Hop.

Yat-Yee Chong and Heather Kelly are both talented writers I’ve known for many years. Can’t wait to hear about their Next Big Thing!!

14 comments:

Anna Staniszewski said...

So great to learn more about your book! I love that there aren't many stories out there like it. Hoping I can get my paws on a copy somehow. :-)

Yat-Yee said...

Lovely to hear about your new books. Thanks for tagging me. Time to dust off my blog!

As for getting a copy of your book. I have a friend visiting India right now, but he lives in Australia...Must figure this out.

Nandini said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anna, Yat-Yee. There are Indian bookstores on the net where the book will be available, in case you're interested. I'll post links after it's out.

April Prince said...

Nandini, this was such fun to read! Thanks for being game for the tag. I can't wait to get a copy of your book in my hot little hands!!!

Amy Benoit said...

Beauty and brains! Proud of you -- well done!

Nandini said...

Thanks, April and Amy!! :)

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Enjoyed getting this glimpse into your new book and the story behind it. Thanks =)

Nandini said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting, Ruth!

Heather Kelly said...

Great to see this insight into your book, Nandini! Can't wait to hold a copy in my hand!

I am dusting off the blog as we speak, and will publish my tagged post today. :) Thanks for the love!

Nandini said...

Awesome! Look forward to your post, Heather!!

Yat-Yee said...

Hi, Nandini: just wanted to let you know that my Next Big Thing post is up. Thanks again for tagging me.

Nandini said...

You're welcome, Yat-Yee! Can't wait to read your post!

Fida Islaih said...

I found you through Heather. Your book sounds great!

Nandini said...

Thanks, Fida! So nice of you to leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...